Friday, February 13, 2015

Hannibal Lecter Is My Valentine

 Valentine’s Day is a holiday that, generally, people loathe but the greeting card, candy companies, florists, restaurants, and retail stores enjoy. We shell out money, while they make it. Valentine’s Day is a holiday filled with guilt and depression. If you’re part of a couple there’s pressure to do something and if you’re single it’s a horrible reminder that you are single.

    Myself I’m really not a fan of the holiday for the afore mentioned reasons, despite being in a relationship. That’s why a few years ago, when I was still single, I came up with my own way to celebrate that makes the day more enjoyable. A way that makes me forget about the commercialized lovey dovey. I marathon Hannibal Lecter movies.

That’s right, I spend my Valentine’s Day with Hannibal Lecter. Sure he’s psychotic, but he’s smart, cultured, well read, enjoys the finer things, and let us not forget, an amazing cook. I know he eats people, but he’s such a gourmet chef that he’s able to hide the taste of human flesh so that his guests have no idea what they’re eating.

I have all of the movies; well all but one. I don’t have ‘Manhunter’ with William Petersen, but beyond that I have them all including season one of the Hannibal TV series. I alternate each year what order I watch them in. Sometimes I watch them in chronological order of the storyline which means I start with ‘Hannibal Rising’ and end with ‘Hannibal’. Other times I watch them in the order they were made so I start with ‘The Silence of the Lambs’ and end with ‘Hannibal Rising’.

    To top the day off I also order Chinese food delivery. Yep, Hannibal Lecter and Chinese food is the best way to spend Valentine’s Day that I have discovered. I binge on Hannibal the 14th and then discounted Valentine’s candy on the 15th.

Hannibal Lecter is my Valentine. How do you spend Valentine’s Day?


No comments:

Post a Comment